Updated: Dec 1, 2019
Once you get a “糊”, which consists of getting all 14 of your tiles into four sets and one pair. You will reveal all your tiles or the remaining tiles from your hand to all players. Then, all players will calculate the winning points together.
As mentioned before, there should be 4 players on the table and each of them has the role of东南西北. Before starting, each player should have 13 tiles on hand except the “东” player will have 14 tiles on hand. To start, “东” player will have to discard one tile to the middle space of the stacks. Every tile that is discarded means it is abandon from the player and available for other players to “pung / 碰”, “chow / 吃” or “Kong / 杠”.
“Pung / 碰” is an action means a player has two matching tiles that match the discard tile.
“Chow / 吃” is an action means a player has 2 consecutive tiles that can match the discard tile to form a sequence in the same suit. (e.g. 5, 6, 7 of bamboo)
“Kong / 杠” is an action means a player has three matching tiles that match the discard tile.
To start with, if you achieved the last set for a “Hu / 糊” from your own hand but not from the abandon tile, you will be simple scored one point, called “zimo / 自摸”.
If you have any of the followings on your “Hu / 糊”, you will be awarded bonus point(s)
1) Having a triplet of any Dragon Tile scores 1 point. This triplet can be obtained by “Pong / 碰”, “Kong / 杠”, or simply having these 3 tiles in your hidden hand.
2) Having a triplet of the seat wind or the prevailing wind scores 1 point. This triplet can be obtained by “Pong / 碰”, “Kong / 杠” or simply having these three tiles in your hidden hand.
3) Each animal tile obtained scores 1 point. One extra point (for a total of 5) is awarded if all 4 animals are collected.
4) If all your tiles in your “Hu / 糊” are the same suit, you will be awarded 4 points (四台) 清一色 - a hand which is made up entirely of tiles of the same suit
5) If all your tiles in your “Hu / 糊” consists tiles of the same suit and includes Winds or/and Dragons, you will be awarded 2 points (两台) 混一色
6) If all your tiles in your “糊” consists tiles of entirely of 3-card sets of same tiles (pong/碰，gang / 杠) and a pair of eyes, you will be awarded 2 points (两台) 碰碰胡
7) If all your hidden tiles in your “Hu / 糊” consists entirely of 3-card sets of consecutive numbers (eat) and a pair of eyes, you will be awarded 4 points (四台) 平胡
However, if you Chow / 吃 “上” some of your tiles to get your “糊”, consists entirely of 3-card sets of consecutive numbers and a pair of eyes, you will be awarded only 1 points (一台)
Calculating Winning Points
After you win (“糊”), you must show all your tiles to other players and start calculating the points together. Once the points are calculated, you can start calculating the winnings base on the points.
Here are 5 types of the minimum winning systems in Singapore Mahjong in shooter format:
- 0.10 / 0.20
- 0.20 / 0.40
- 0.30 / 0.60 半 (Half)
- 0.50 / 1
- 1 / 2
*Calculation here is for reference for basic calculation only, subject to changes depending on the agreement and discussion of the players.
Also, some group of players play +1 if 自摸, if your group play with that rule too, you may apply that to the current calculation.
“扛” (Kong) means a player has three matching tiles that match the discard tile, or 4 of the matched tiles in the player’s hand “暗扛”. In this case, the player will receive a bonus winning instantly from one player (who discards the tile / shooter) or from other three players if its “暗扛”.
With by all means, we don’t recommend playing the game with real money, and therefore, using the scoring board in points format can be used as a reference to finding who is the winner of the game. Therefore, why not we have the winner of the game get treated with a meal by the losing player, instead?